Saturday, May 24, 2008

Not Hockey - But a once in a Lifetime event

This past Monday night my friend and I began a journey to Fenway Park to see the Red Sox play the Royals. Ok I will admit it was cold and to tell you the truth it did not look like it was going to be a fun night. It was windy...I mean very windy and just cold, game time temp was in the high 50s. One fan near us said, get use to this it’s October weather....ok it was funny but maybe he was getting ahead of himself.......and then it started....... 3rd inning the thought was in our heads but we did not want to say anything to each other....Then Jacoby makes the great catch in the 4th.. (I was yelling for Jacoby to dive for the ball.) Now we knew something special may be happening. After the 6th we were the only ones standing in our section clapping as Jon Lester walked off the mound. Then in the 7th inning you could feel the tension. Then the eight inning began with a knucklehead sitting next to us saying “oh wow, no hits??” I turned to him in disgust and said, “Welcome to the game”…. After the last out in the eighth by the Sox all of Fenway (even the knucklehead) stood and cheered……..then history was made with Jon Lester, who has battled cancer just two years earlier, throwing a no-hitter and my friend and I witnessing it…… a once in a lifetime event for us to see a cancer survivor throw a no-hitter live at Fenway Park…. Jon Lester you are an inspiration to all…..

1 comment:

Tim Rosenthal said...

After witnessing it myself at Fenway I couldn't agree more.