Monday, January 26, 2009

Sioux weekend - I have a different take

I know when a team takes three points it's considered a good weekend, especially against a top ranked team. But this past weekend was not a series where UND stole three points, it was a series where UND lost an opportunity to grab four.

Did it bother anyone else that the Sioux let up 3 goals in the last minute of play in three different periods? I know one of the goals was on a power play, but it's really bugging me.

I guess what's really bothering me the most is that the Sioux dug a hole for themselves in the first half of the season and there is very little room for error in the second half. In prior seasons, the strength of the WCHA helped the Sioux in their second-half surge. This year, that same level of strength is lacking. The only thing that is really within North Dakota's control is the way they play in their own games and this year more than ever, every game counts. I guess I don't want to find us on the bubble at the end of the season and not make it into the NCAAs,wondering how things could have been different if we had only won just one more key game during the season. Because to date, there are about seven games you can point to that could have really helped the Sioux if they had pulled out a win: UMass, Cornell, Minnesota- Duluth (the tie), Michigan St., Michigan Tech (two times) and now Denver.

No comments: