Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Sioux sweep St Cloud..but I still have concerns

After this weekend’s sweep of St. Cloud, UND’s record has improved to above .500 (9-8-1) for the first time this season.  The Sioux still have a long road ahead of them but they are on the right track. In a post I wrote back on November 23, I mentioned my concerns with their scoring, especially the power play.  At that time, the Sioux were 37th in the country in scoring and 34th in the power play.  As of today, they are tied for 9th in the country in scoring and most importantly, they are tied for 10th on the power play.  This is a vey impressive and key turnaround.   

However, I still have concerns over the next four games (five if you count the exhibition). My concern is based on the old sports cliché: one game at a time.  The Sioux team and fans have begun to talk about the Gopher series on the January 9 & 10 weekend.  We still have a tough road ahead before the Gopher series, with the GLI Tournament and a home and home with Bemidji.  

Let’s stay focused on the exhibition next weekend, rest players that need a rest, work on key areas that need improvement, and hope the Sioux come out of this exhibition with no injuries. 

Friday Night’s Game Summary – UND Web Site 

Saturday Night’s Game Summary – UND Web Site   

4 comments:

joen05 said...

I find it so hard to believe that the Sioux have been struggling so much this year. I want them to succeed... because it helps BU since we beat UND this year... hehe.

Great turnaround for them offensively by the way. I'm used to seeing UND teams blitz other teams with their high powered offense.

-Joe

Let's Go Terriers!

SIOUX/BUFan said...

Yes I was at the Ice Breaker. It was painful. The team seems to be coming together, so I am hoping for a Sioux run in the second half.

Thanks for the comment

joen05 said...

Hey, no problem, always glad to read a good blog, and you've got one!

Eric J. Burton said...

I think this Sioux team is doing what we thought they could do. Even at the beginning of the year I could see some amazing team speed we haven't seen since the Dean Blais years.

When I first saw the Sioux's schedule I would have loved to have them start out with someone like Sacred Heart, RIT, BSU, Niagar, QU or some other cup cake or easier team other than an experienced team like BU. You know get the confidence going.

I think UND will be ONE of the teams to beat in the second half of the season. Seems the Sioux always take longer to get going than other teams. The other day during the Coaches show I heard Hak say something to the effect that the Sioux crank it up in the second half of the season.

It is almost like they plan their season to start slow and peak at the end. There is also evidene of this by the way they have played the last 4 1/2 season.